Tuesday, July 16, 2019

What is it like to have synesthesia?


I have a few types of synesthesia, although I'd consider them to be more of the boring types-
1.Associative color-letter/number. - This means that I associate letters, numbers, and words with different colors, but don't actually see them.
2.Misophonia is also considered a type of synesthesia according to Wikipedia, so there's that. This means that I physically feel pain and feel negative emotions when I hear certain sounds.
3.Associative spatial-sequence synesthesia- This means that I see things, like days of the week and months of the year, in a 3D way.
This isn't what mine looks like, but this describes it pretty well. Since all my types of synesthesia are associative and not projective (besides misophonia, if it even is synesthesia), they don't really affect me too much.

However, my mom (and her twin) both have projective ticker-tape synesthesia, and projective color-letter/number synesthesia. This means that when they're talking to someone, they see the words in front of them as they hear them. Think of them as subtitles, except you can't turn them off.
Also, since they have projective color-letter synesthesia too, they see the subtitles as different colors- some of which can't even be described using English.
Overall, it doesn't really affect their lives, since they don't know any different. Before they went to college, they thought that all people experienced sound and color the way they do.

Reference: Asher Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment